Children and Young People
Link to Other Liberal Catholic Church Sites
Link to Other Organisations of Interest
Links to other LCC Web sites within the Province
Nicholas Morosoff was born 24 July, 1899 in Moscow. He attended Moscow School of Graphic Arts, studying drawing and engraving. As a teenager he was entranced by the work of Cezanne and Matisse. He attended the Moscow Academy of Fine Art, where he studied with Robert Falk and Wassily Kandinsky. While at the Academy, he met Vera Maslennikova. whom he later married. She was a talented painter, and her work was sought after in Moscow. Nicholas achieved master printer level and began teaching graphic arts, etching and engraving at The First Model Print School, Moscow.
In the early 1920's, Morosoff designed two new Cyrillic type faces for the Bolsheviks. In 1925, after being arrested by the secret police, he and Vera left Moscow, marrying in the early part of that year. They never returned to Russia. They spent two years in Ravenna, Italy, travelling and studying Byzantine mosaics.
In 1931 the couple moved to Paris and engaged in a series of shows and exhibitions in various galleries in the city. Morosoff met Bishop Wedgwood in Paris in 1933. In 1935, at Wedgwood's request and commission, he painted the icon which now hangs behind the main altar in St Francis' Church.
In 1951 the Morosoffs moved to New York City, where they lived and worked until 1972, when they moved to St. Petersburg, Florida. Between 1979-91 they exhibited in a series of one-man shows and group exhibitions at Beaux Arts Centre, Pinellas Park, Florida. Vera died in 1991 and Morosoff's health began to decline. He still had Exhibitions at Brad Cooper Gallery, Tampa. and worked on a video document on Modern Art.
Nicholas Morosoff continued to paint through 1993, and then moved to Ybor City in Tampa, Florida, where he continued working on a video review of his life's work. He died in 1994.